Data deleted! Unplug your WD My Book Live

My Book Live,wd my book live nas,Western Digital Email,WD My Book Live,cyber attack, my book live windows 10, mybooklive windows 10

Western Digital is recommending users to unplug "My Book Live storage" devices from the Internet until they notice many complains about data loss,WD engineers investigate unexplained compromises that have completely wiped data from devices around the world.

This type of disk wiping related incident was discovered by Western Digital support forum. There are no reports of recovering deleted data yet.

All the data has been deleted

A post been found on the WD forum "I have a WD mybook connected directly to my home LAN and it worked fine for years," wrote the user who started the thread. “I just found out that today all the data on it somehow disappeared, while the directories look there but are empty. Previously the volume of 2TB was almost full but now it appears at full capacity.”

Soon, Many My Book Live users were quick to report experiencing the exact same thing. One user quickly replied: “All my data is gone too.” "I'm totally troubled without that data...years of that."

Many users reported that data was lost during a factory reset that was performed on their device.

My Book connects to computers, usually through USB. But the model affected here, known as My Book Live, uses an Ethernet cable to connect to a local network. Users can remotely access their files and make configuration changes through Western Digital's cloud infrastructure. Western Digital stopped supporting My Book Live in 2015.

Western Digital Email

The incident is under active investigation from Western Digital. We do not have any indications of a breach or compromise of Western Digital cloud services or systems.
We have determined that some My Book Live devices have been compromised by a threat actor. In some cases, this compromise has led to a factory reset that appears to erase all data on the device. The My Book Live device received its final firmware update in 2015.
At this time, we are recommending that customers disconnect their My Book Live devices from the Internet to protect their data on the device.
We have issued the following statement to our customers and will provide updates to this thread when they are available: https://community.wd.com/t/action-required-on-my-book-live-and-my-book-live-duo/268147

Disconnect now

on 25/4/2021 A new ransomware attacked QNAP devices worldwide is underway, and users are finding their files now locked with password-protected 7zip archives.... for more:

whatch this

The ransomware is called Qlocker, and began targeting QNAP devices. the QNAP Resource Monitor will display numerous '7z' processes which are the 7zip command-line executable. QNAP Malware Remover: Removed the detected malware: MR2102

Next Post Previous Post